The Divine Commodity: Discovering a Faith Beyond Consumer Christianity - The challenge facing Christianity today is not a lack of motivation or resources, but a failure of imagination.A growing number of people are disturbed by the values exhibited by the contemporary church. Worship has become entertainment, the church has become a shopping mall, and God has become a consumable product. Many sense that something is wrong, but they cannot imagine an alternative way. The Divine Commodity finally articulates what so many have been feeling and offers hope for the future of a post-consumer Christianity.Through Scripture, history, engaging narrative, and the inspiring art of Vincent van Gogh, The Divine Commodity explores spiritual practices that liberate our imaginations to live as Christ's people in a consumer culture opposed to the values of his kingdom. Each chapter shows how our formation as consumers has distorted an element of our faith. For example, the way churches have become corporations and how branding makes us more focused on image than reality. It then energizes an alternative vision for those seeking a more meaningful faith. Before we can hope to live differently, we must have our minds released from consumerism's grip and captivated once again by Christ.
- With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God
- Immeasurable: Reflections on the Soul of Ministry in the Age of Church, Inc.
- Singing at Midnight: Following Jesus from the Garden to the Grave and into Glory
- Futureville: Discover Your Purpose for Today by Reimagining Tomorrow
- The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives
- Discipleship with Monday in Mind: How Churches Across the Country Are Helping Their People Connect Faith and Work
- What's Wrong with Religion?: 9 Things No One Told You about Faith
- Supernatural Power for Everyday People: Experiencing God’s Extraordinary Spirit in Your Ordinary Life
- The Prayer That Turns the World Upside Down: The Lord's Prayer as a Manifesto for Revolution
- Discovering Romans: Content, Interpretation, Reception (Discovering Biblical Texts (DBT))